|Email address||— PGP key|
|Phone||+31 20 598 7907|
|Mailing address||Kaveh Razavi
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1081A
1081 HV, Amsterdam
I am an assistant professor in the Systems and Networking Security group at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. I am generally interested in computer systems and security with a special focus on commodity hardware and operating systems. I teach courses on Hardware Security and Kernel Programming .
I received a PhD from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam in 2015 for improving the scalability of cloud infrastructures. I also have an MSc from ETH Zurich and a BSc from Sharif University of Technology. My research is often picked up by popular media, has won multiple prestigious awards and a personal VENI grant over the years.
Selected Recent Publications
- NWO awarded me a VENI grant to research building secure systems from insecure hardware!
- Much media attention for GLitch (S&P’18, compromising browsers on phones with GPUs), Throwhammer (USENIX ATC’18, Rowhammer attacks over the network), and TLBleed (USENIX Security’18, leaking secrets from shared TLBs). OpenBSD disabled SMT due to the impact of TLBleed.
- AnC (NDSS’17) won the best Dutch cyber security research paper award!
- Drammer (CCS’16) won CSAW applied research best paper award!
- AnC (NDSS’17) won the most innovative research pwnie!
- Drammer (CCS’16) won the best Dutch cyber security research paper award!
- Drammer (CCS’16) won the best privilege escalation pwnie!
- Our AnC attack on the MMU was picked up by the media. AnC significantly compromises ASLR. We need stronger defenses in the browser.
- Much media attention for our Rowhammer-related research with Dedup Est Machina, Flip Feng Shui and Drammer.
- Dedup Est Machina published in S&P’16 won the most innovative research pwnie!
- Kernel Programming, MSc, 2016, 2017, 2018.
- Hardware Security, MSc, 2018.
- Secure Software, MSc, 2016, 2017.
- Large-scale Computing Infrastructures, MSc, 2014, 2015.
- Cluster and Grid Computing, MSc, 2013.
- PC: ESSoS’18, ICDCS’18 (security and shot papers tracks), EuroS&P’18, Middlware’17 (poster track), CCS’17, ES WEEK’17, ESSoS’17
- Organization: Middleware’18 (publication chair), HPDC’15 (web chair)
- External PC: HiPC’14, EuroPar ’14, HPDC’13, HiPC’13, CGC’13, HPDC’12
- Reviewer: IEEE TPDS, JPDC, Cluster Computing