As a PhD Student / Postdoc
There may (or may not) be PhD / Postdoc opportunities available any time of the year. If you are (a) really good, and (b) interested in a PhD / Postdoc in system security, send us an email (please include [VUSeek] in the subject).
As a Bachelor Student
- Computer Networks
- Operating Systems
- Secure Programming
See also our page on student projects.
As a Master Student
Apply for a Master in Computer Science at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. For VUSec, there are different Master programs to choose from. The most obvious is the Master program in Computer System Security. The other interesting one is the Andrew S. Tanenbaum Master of Excellence (also as one of the university’s top Masters).
- security issues in system-level software including weaknesses and defenses (and how to bypass them);
- static and dynamic analysis techniques for software (benign and malicious, binary and source) ;
- research in attacks and defenses;
- reverse engineering and forensics
- Binary and Malware Analysis
- Computer and Network Security
- Kernel Programming
- Secure Software
As mentioned, VUSec is actively organizing the following Master programs at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam:
- Computer Systems Security (CSS)
Unique in the Netherlands in its focus on system security issues in operating systems, hardware and applications.
- Many advanced attacks and defenses.
- Very hands-on.
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum Master of Excellence (AST)
- Established after Andy Tanenbaum’s retirement.
- Research program aimed only at top students in Computer Systems.
Students frequently play a leading role in our research projects. See also our page on student projects.
Check out some papers with our AST students below.
AST Student Papers
Life after university
In this field, there is pretty much 100% employment rate. On this page, you will find some links to organisations that may help you find the right job for you.