As a PhD Student / Postdoc
There may (or may not) be PhD / Postdoc opportunities available any time of the year. If you are (a) really good, and (b) interested in a PhD / Postdoc in system security, send us an email (please include [VUSeek] in the subject and attach your CV).
As a Bachelor Student
- Operating Systems (OS)
- Compiler Construction (CoCo)
- Secure Programming (SP)
See also our page on student projects.
As a Teaching Assistant
If you are a year-2+ Bachelor student or Master student at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, we have a number of teaching assistantships available for all our Bachelor courses above (OS, SP, CoCo). Teaching assistants (TAs) are typically involved in practical assignment supervision (attending two lab sessions per week and addressing questions on Canvas) and assessment (assignment grading). Every year, we have 4x 0.25 FTE (10 hours/week) TA positions available for OS, 4x 0.25 FTE (10/hours week) TA positions available for SP, and 4x 0.5 FTE (20 hours/week for the shorter period 3) TA positions available for CoCo. If interested, please us an email. Do include [VUSeek] in the subject, attach your CV & grade list, and specify your full name, year of study, private email address, nationality, and whether you already have a TA contract with the VU.
As a Master Student
Apply for a Master in Computer Science at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. For VUSec, there are different Master programs to choose from. The most obvious is the Master program in Computer System Security. The other interesting one is the Andrew S. Tanenbaum Master of Computer Systems Research (also as one of the university’s top Masters).
- Security issues in system-level software including weaknesses and defenses (and how to bypass them);
- Static and dynamic analysis techniques for software (benign and malicious, binary and source) ;
- Research in attacks and defenses;
- Reverse engineering and forensics
- Binary and Malware Analysis (BAMA)
- Computer and Network Security (CNS)
- Advanced Operating Systems (AOS)
- Hardware Security (HS)
As mentioned, VUSec is actively organizing the following Master programs at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam:
- Computer Systems Security (CSS)
Unique in the Netherlands in its focus on system security issues in operating systems, hardware and applications.
- Many advanced attacks and defenses.
- Very hands-on.
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum Master of Computer Systems Research (AST)
- Established after Andy Tanenbaum’s retirement.
- Research program aimed only at top students in Computer Systems.
Students frequently play a leading role in our research projects. See our page on student projects. Also check out some published papers from thesis projects carried out by our Master students below.
Published Master Thesis Results
Life after university
In this field, there is pretty much 100% employment rate. On this page, you will find some links to organisations that may help you find the right job for you.